Feeling lost as a millennial? Let me try to help - because I feel it too



Welcome back! It's been a seriously long time since my last post.. So, apologies (again). 

Today's topic of conversation is *drum roll please*... feeling lost as a 20 (something) year old/millennial - and it gets DEEP.

 Image result for feeling lost

Lets be honest, we are all feeling it really.. You look around and all you see is people who seem to have their whole lives together and everything they do is just a breeze for them. Those people who are always on a new adventure, meeting new friends and can't put a foot wrong. 

Don't you just despise them! 

All jokes aside though, this is a real problem that our generation is facing. We, more than any generation before us, are bombarded by the highlight reel of our 427 Facebook friends lives and see only the most brilliantly taken photo with 42 filters applied on someones Instagram. We come to believe that this is how life is and we are just the black sheep who don't fit this perfect fairly-tale.



Spoiler Alert
*SPOILER ALERT*

NO-ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING!
Through taking a step back, we can see the light in our lives but when surrounded by the noise of everyday hustle and bustle, we lose ourselves. That's why one major point I want to get across in this post is that if you are struggling to hear your own thoughts, get away from the noise - sit in absolute silence and listen out for that voice in your head that knows what it wants. 

My Experience

Recently, in my own life,  the question of 'who am I' is on constant repeat.. Some days it goes around my head so much it's almost painful. It makes the tasks that I'm doing seem menial and pointless and, just to add to the annoyance, work has been a drag for this exact reason. I am soul searching as much as my life duties will allow and I have to admit, I'm having some good responses to just listening to myself.

My research into finding the 'true self' has given a few insights into 'me' but I find that these moments only breed more curiosity and need for answers.

I have come to the realization that this is the puzzle that we are all in as humans.

At birth, we are all dumped here onto this rocky ball with all the hope, ambition, sadness, joy, despair and curiosity we could now only dream of. Over the coming years, your 'true self' is knocked around, kicked back and forth and given a few noogies. These years are what create the initial shape you take as a human. From this early sculpture, you go on to just re-mold and tweak details of yourself that you think the world wants from you - further ingraining the foundations you created as a child - and the universe doesn't care if these are 'good' or 'bad' - 'useful' or 'torturous'.

Sam Harris
The issue with using this model is that people are  now 'Waking Up' (thanks Sam Harris) from the model they created which opens our eyes to the misalignment from who people BELIEVE they are to who they TRULY are.

Before I end this little insight into the human mind I want to finish with several insights I have had in my recent soul search.


Peaking into the 'True Self'

1. Starting simple, but often overlooked, is the common phrase 'Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it'. I first heard this several years back and it has only now really hit home because I just believed I knew what it meant. If I can give one piece of advice in this small post, please sit and contemplate this idea because it truly has layers to it that need you to uncover for yourself.

2. Three words... SENSORY. DEPRIVATION. TANK.

Wow... My first sensory deprivation experience was about 3 hours before writing this post and it was incredible. I felt physical shifts in my body and mind in the tank that I have no way of explaining. I was laying there with negative emotions in absolute bliss because I KNEW that in that moment, they couldn't hurt me. Its a deeper level of self connection that I feel everyone could use.

I used the company 'Float' who were amazing, and no - before you say it, that is not a sly attempt from me to try to get free sessions because I feel like I need them to have my money, that is how insightful the experience is. 

3. Your body is a map of your emotions.

This is another phrase I see often but, linking in with #2, when you can physically feel emotions arising in a quiet peaceful place, you see them for what they really are, a guide. Sadness and powerlessness are just a compass for areas in your life where you may not be saying 'no' when deep down you want to, anxiety is hidden excitement for adventures you know are possible but are too afraid to take that leap of faith and depression is a knowing that your dream life is out there but - at the moment - you haven't taken the action needed to achieve that dream.

Sit with your body and love the feelings that come up, because once you realize that they are nothing to be afraid of, the world opens in-front of you. 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


*In case anyone is wondering about finding a float tank/what they are, below is a link to a website that locates your closest sensory deprivation tank*

https://floatationlocations.com/category/european-union/united-kingdom/

watch and ride, floating, sensory deprivation tank, floatation therapy, float tanks, snowboard iq

Comments

Popular Posts